Friday, July 6, 2012

Urban Vignettes Week 5: Sounds of Detroit

Sounds of Detroit

Looking down from an attic door in Detroit
Shhhh.... do you hear that? I hear the trucks sucking air past them in a rumble mixed with the rush of cars, the buzzing of motorcycles, and I haven't even left my bedroom yet.

I go to a recently un-abandoned house a few streets away for an art exhibit and social gathering.

I hear music on the radio, the hum of voices mixing together into a lively chatter, I step out of the back door of the garage and the party fades out, the birds chirping nearby begin to be louder, and the crackle of brush and broken glass under my feet take precedence in my auditory system.

I come back inside to watch a friend pump beer out of a keg.

On a sunny Monday afternoon, I venture to a favorite getaway: Belle Isle. There I wander along the inner roads to listen to birds, the wind, and the whirring of crickets and cicadas. 

This is my city, and these are its sounds.


You may have to turn up the volume for this, as I didn't have the proper equipment to capture the sounds, but I hope they will give you a sound idea of the Motor City.

Sincerely,

Kaity Nicastri,
Detroit Lover

If you want to see this post in its edited format, go to Urban Vignettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment